Me and 'My Adidas'

Sunday, March 15, 2015

With all these Adidas collaborations going on, the latest being the already sold-out Kanye West Yeezy Boosts, I fell victim to my own peer pressure to have a another piece of the legendary brand. No I didn't pay $350 for Kanye's below. I put down $90 for something more original and classic — The Adidas Superstars!
You know them oh too well. White shell toe with an all leather upper, a non-scuffing rubber sole and  three glorious stripes. The shoe available in low and hightop versions was and is the epitome of classic cool. Launched in 1969 and marketed to basketball players throughout the 70s, the shoe quickly monopolized the league. By end of end of the decade, 75% of the NBA teams were playing in  the performance lines. 

And then ...drum roll ... RUN DMC, who wore the shoes with the tongues out, rapped about them in their 1986 song "My Adidas," as a rebuttal to the haters who weren't feeling the urban look that involved Adidas gear, Kangos and gold chains. One song and thousands of followers later, the Superstars became a household accessory. The group eventually signed a $1 million dollar endorsement deal (though that wasn't the case at first) and the rest is history. 


To read more about others who played a significant role in the lines history check out High Snobiety. For insider info regarding new Superstar collabs join the Adidas Superstar Facebook page. In the meantime, I'm gonna throw on my track jacket, put in some big gold hoops and rock 'My Adidas' literally and figuratively. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© Atlas + Shadow All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger